Whether you need extra help with your graded exam, want to learn how to play classical guitar because it’s a relaxing, rewarding way to experience a rich history of wonderful music, or need lessons for your child (up to date DBS certificate attached below), I can help you.
Above all, I try to make lessons clear and enjoyable, but also endeavor to facilitate:
- A solid and up to date right and left-hand classical guitar technique
- A rich and broad Classical repertoire taking you on a journey through Spain, South America and beyond, also back in time exploring Bach’s beautiful Lute music.
- Knowledge of music theory and sight-reading
- Some knowledge of composition and how the pieces have been built
- Understanding of interpretation and sound quality
- Great marks in Trinity College exams
My personal understanding comes directly from some of the greatest classical guitarists in the world today, including Trinity College course leader Graham Devine and Cuban master Ale Arango (Francisco Tarrega Competition winner 2018) along with years of personal study and performance.
My classical teaching experience includes many years in London schools for Wandsworth County Council, Weekend Arts College, Southwark Blue Note, Community Music, The Academy of Contemporary Music and privately. With students successfully passing trinity college exams from initial to grade 8.
All lessons are currently online due to Covid-19, this can be preferable in some ways, as students are comfortable in their own space. I teach via Skype or Zoom and have a great setup, so both the video and the sound are very clear.
The Guardian “prolific guitarist-composer Jonny Phillips seems to have tunes coming out of his ears.”
Record Collector “Ravishingly beautiful” ****
BBC Music Magazine “Outstanding” *****